BIRTH NAME: Cedric Lamonte Dean
BORN: June 14, 1972, in Charlotte, N.C.
AUTHOR: Published his first self-help book: "How to Stop Your Children from Going to Prison," in 2008. Denounced his past criminal lifestyle in 2009. Became first federal prisoner to simultaneously receive a Call-to-Service Award and a Civil Service Award in 2011. First federal probationer with 10 years supervision to be terminated after 1 year in 2018. Attended 2019 State of the Union Address with Congresswoman Alma Adams.
EDUCATOR: Began teaching GED and Adult Continuing Education classes for federal prisoners in 2004. Became a U.S. Department of Labor Teacher's apprentice in 2006. Received his Teacher's Assistant certification in 2010, after helping more than 500 federal prisoners obtain their GEDs. Launched an 8-part New Life Curriculum series in mid-2011. Designed a K-12 Incarceration Prevention Class model in 2012. In 2013, Dean founded the SAVE Institute. In 2014, Dean developed his Thugology Theory. Today, he spends much of his days working with students at Thomasboro Elementary, Martin Luther King Middle and West Charlotte High. Eighteen “problem” students at Thomasboro were chosen to attend Dean’s character education program. Together, in 2018, they had 32 behavioral incidents and 58 absences before joining the program. They had 5 incidents and 14 absences after the program.
ACTIVIST: Appointed Executive Director of NAACP Prison Branch 5135. Founded Safeguard Atone Validate Educate (SAVE) in 2009 and launched Save a Child Month in January 2012. SAVE is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that includes character education, employment preparation, counseling, mentoring and training.
· Organized Save a Child Program with CMPD Chief Kerr Putney and Sheriff-elect Garry McFadden January 2018
· Received Federal EIN for Non-Profit Organization (Safeguard Atone Validate Educate) January 2018
· Contracted by CMPD Chief Kerr Putney to coordinate the Community Empowerment Initiative in February 2018
· Partnered with Cox Media/WSOC in March 2018
· Assigned to represent CMPD on Commissioner Vilma Leake committee with City Manager, County Manager, CMS Superintendent, and other community leaders in March 2018
· Received waiver from CMS to instruct a Character Education Course in March 2018
· Received 501(c)3 status for SAVE April 2018
· Was a campaign strategist for Sherriff-elect Garry McFadden and District Attorney Spencer Merriweather
· Formed a partnership with Radio One and took 20 children to the radio station April 2018
· Formed a partnership with the Carolina School of Broadcasting and took 20 children to the school May 2018
· Partnered with Second Harvest and Hickory Grove Baptist Church to provide FREE groceries for families at Thomasboro Academy June 2018
· Graduated 15 Character Education Development students at Thomasboro Academy June 2018
· Partnered with the Mayor’s Mentoring Alliance June 2018
· Partnered with Second Harvest, CMPD, Sheriff-elect Garry McFadden to feed approximately 500 families in the Beattis Ford Road corridor June 2018 and 2019
· Provided a FREE summer mentoring program from June to August 2018
· Government Initiatives
· Partnered with Northside Baptist Church in July 2018
· Partnered with Restore Global in July 2018
· Partnered with CMPD and the Big 10 Super Event July 2018
· Partnered with the Carolina Panthers for the development of a flag football league July 2018
· Headlined “The Empowerment Authors Showcase” July 17, 2018
· Graduated 22 children from the CMPD-sponsored SAVE Mentoring Program
· Traveled with Sherriff-elect Garry McFadden vetting vendors in Summer 2018
· Took 22 children to the Carolina Panthers pre-season game against New England August 2018
· Partnered with Wells Fargo for a Financial Literacy Class for SAVE children at Thomasboro Academy August 2018
· Partnered with West Charlotte High School Entrepreneur class September 2018
· Received a Humanitarian Award from CUC100 November 2018
· Selected to be keynote Speaker at Mayor’s Mentoring Alliance 2019 Awards Show
· Attended the State of the Union Address with N.C. Congresswoman Alma Adams
· Received a Prestige Award from Beauty After the Bars in November 2019
· Press releases have been serviced to local, regional and national outlets
· Charlotte Observer. Cover and feature story
· Article in Returning Citizens Magazine
· Interviewed by WSOC and WBTV
· Radio One and Beasley Media Group radio shows
· Social Media Outreach – Information on Cedric Dean has been posted on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Linkedin accounts.
Copyright © 2020 CEDRIC DEAN - All Rights Reserved.